Like most websites Boost uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this site. Accept and Close

What we’ll do if you’re in debt

Struggling to find the cash to top up? Don’t worry. This is what we’ll do to help:

If you don’t pay for your energy, we might disconnect you. But not until we’ve tried everything above – this will be our absolute last resort.

Things to know 


Check for people who are pensioners, disabled or chronically sick before we disconnect you.

Switching when you’re in debt

You’re absolutely within your rights to switch your gas or electricity supplier if you’re in debt, as long as you:

However, if you owe more than £500, you’ll need to reduce your debt to £500 before you go elsewhere.

Get in touch

We’re here to help – 0330 102 7517.  So please talk to us if you’re worried about paying for your energy. We’ll talk through your options and work out what you can afford. 


Grants and allowances to help

Cold Weather Payments
If the temperature falls below zero for seven days in a row, this payment from the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) could help you manage. 

You’ll almost certainly qualify for DWP cold weather payments if you get Pension Credit, Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance or income-related Employment and Support Allowance. 


Winter Fuel Allowance
If you’re old enough to get a state pension, you could get a winter fuel payment (also known as the Winter Fuel Allowance). It’s a yearly one-off payment that isn’t linked to temperature and is tax-free. If you’re on a state pension you’ll get it automatically. 


Warm Home Discount
This government initiative provides rebates on energy bills – it was £140 for winter 2017/18. You get a warm home discount as a one-off discount on your energy bill, or as a voucher if you have a pre-payment meter. It’s usually paid sometime between October and March. Boost is signed up to this scheme so to qualify, you should be getting the guarantee credit element of Pension Credit.

Organisations to speak to

Citizens Advice

For advice and information on debt, visit your local Citizens Advice Bureau. Or visit the right website for your country: 


Fuel Direct

The Department for Work and Pensions (under the Fuel Direct scheme) can pay your energy bills straight from any of these benefits: 

For more information, call 0800 0699 83. 


National Debtline

If you live in England, Wales or Scotland call 0808 808 4000 or visit the National Debtline website for debt advice and information.


Step Change Debt Charity

For debt advice throughout the UK, phone 0800 138 1111 or visit the Step Change website.


Energy Saving Trust

The Energy Saving Trust gives impartial, accurate and independent advice to communities and homes on how to reduce carbon emissions, use water more sustainably – and save money on energy bills. For energy saving tips, call 0300 123 1234 or visit the Energy Saving Trust website.


The Energy Company Obligation (ECO)

You could be eligible for a grant to pay for energy-saving home improvements if you’re on a low income. Find out more.

Centre for Sustainable Energy (CSE)
The CSE is an independent national charity that offers free and impartial energy saving advice. Advice ranges from managing your energy bills to making energy-saving home improvements. For advice, call 0117 934 1400 or visit the CSE website