How do I get independent advice about energy?

There’s lots of help and independent advice to save money on energy bills, switch energy supplier and stay on top of your spending.

Energy can feel like a complicated business. Here at Boost, we work hard to make things more straightforward. That means giving you advice and answers when you need them – it’s what this area of our website is about. But sometimes you’ll be keen to get an independent take on things.

Independent advice to save money and reduce bills 

From getting the best deal to using less energy in the first place, there’s lots of help out there.

Grants to improve energy efficiency

Government schemes can help you make your home more energy efficient for free, which really helps cut energy bills. It’s good news for the environment too, so why not see if you’re eligible?

The easiest way to see if you can get some free help to reduce energy bills is to visit the energy grants calculator here.

Help with fuel poverty and saving energy

We’ve partnered with the energy saving advice experts at Centre for Sustainable Energy to give you free, impartial advice on how to save energy and keep your home warm in winter.

Just have your name and account details ready when you call. And remember, if you are of pensionable age; have a disability, hearing and/or visual impairment; or suffer from long-term ill health, there may be special help available so don’t forget to mention this to us when we chat.  

On the phone

Call us from Monday to Friday, 9am-6pm. An answering machine service is available out of hours.

  • 0800 038 5688
  • For mobiles: 0117 203 4267

By email

Be sure to include your contact and account details when you email.

Citizens Advice Bureau for consumer advice

When you want impartial advice on things like switching energy provider, what to do if your power goes out, and who’s the right energy supplier for you, talk to the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB).  

This service is completely free, and totally independent. They can help you with things like:

  • Getting a better deal/being an energy shopper 
  • Providing an idea of what to expect from your supplier 
  • Advice if you’re struggling to pay your bills 
  • Making a complaint if you feel you need to – though there’s help with that on our complaints page too.


On the phone 

Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm

  • 03454 04 05 06
  • Textphone 18001 followed by 03454 04 05 06

By post

Citizens Advice Consumer Service 

Post Point 24 Town Hall 

Walliscote Grove Road 


North Somerset 

BS23 1UJ

What next? 

Download the Citizens Advice Bureau information flyer – in English and Welsh.